Friday, July 23, 2010

You'll find me here


One place that I've really grown to love is my balcony. We get the morning sun and then during the heat of the day, it's shaded. Unfortunately, the shade doesn't combat the high humidity we've been having lately. We have decided to lease another year in our apartment instead of buying a house. It was a hard decision as it changes other plans, but we want to make sure we are making the best decisions and not making them based on our emotions.

So our balcony gives us a slice of owning a home again. It gives us a place to relax and sip our coffee in the mornings.

A place to watch the clouds change and sometimes form creatures in the sky.


We enjoy the birds and learn all about them.


We draw


and play with bubbles


and unfortunately, sometimes dirt fights happen when mom looks away for a few minutes



It's a place that reminds me of simpler times. Like sitting on the back porch of our house growing up and snapping green beans with my mom while she had her morning coffee or having long deep conversations with my dad late into the nights. Even then, I often thought about my grandparents and great grandparents sitting on their porches. I wondered what they talked about. I wondered if they thought about their crops or admired their gardens.

I didn't necessarily get really into my garden dreams at our house in Oklahoma. Now don't get me wrong, I HAD dreams for it and some came to reality. It was like a long and narrow blank slate.



But it seems like anywhere you try to do anything nice, the bermuda grass is there to wreak havoc. That's the case on those stepping stones we put in. I wish I had a picture pre-bermuda. When they say that the black tarp like stuff keeps grass from growing in your landscaping, they lie. I seriously loathe bermuda grass. I'd gladly take a thousand weeds over a grass that grows it's deep spidery roots into the clay ground and spreads like a wild fire. If you are one of my readers from a place where bermuda grass doesn't grow, praise Jesus. He is saving your fingers from the blisters you would have got if you tried to keep your gardens grass free. Blisters, yes! AND if you even try to wear gloves, it is almost impossible to find their very long, skinny shoots that hide under the ground just waiting for you to turn your head so they can sprout upwards and out.

Bermuda grass was all that I had ever known until I moved to Kansas. I've got quite use to our fescue up here. It's soft on your toes



and when you mow it, it makes those diamond shapes that remind me of a great argyle sweater like this



Not like this


Poor pup! Not everyone can rock a pink argyle sweater and I'm not sure that anyone could rock that one!

Here's a few things that are growing around our outdoor space!













I love that we have a place to grow some veggies and fruits without taking away from it's coziness. Another place to watch the world go by without feeling the need to jump in. So anytime you would like a place to relax and enjoy your morning coffee, we'll be here waiting for you!

5 comments:

Becky said...

I need to get my backyard more "haven-like". I love sitting out there, but the furniture is old and dirty and so I don't do it as much as I would like.

GinH said...

I love porches! We have a small one in the front of our house. I love eating outside, especially in a covered porch (or screened sun room) during rain storms!

Kelly T said...

It looks so very nice and cozy. I need a nice place like this... can't say I have one even though we're in a home. Maybe that would help some with my discontentedness with our current house. And I'm with you, I definitely DON'T miss bermuda grass, either.

Jill Foley said...

I would LOVE to come over and have coffee with you on your balcony.

Cherish This Life! said...

LOVE these pictures!! The patio is so inviting and having been to your apartment I can attest that it is beautiful and quite the home. I am so proud of you and Chris for your great choices and I have no doubt there will be the perfect house waiting for you when you are ready to buy!

The tomatoes and peppers are growing like crazy, looking good - that shaking is paying off, LOL! And the stawberries look awesome. I have never tried to grow those before. I love the add-ons you used with the picture labels, the staple is so cute. You are so darn good at this computerish/picture stuff! LOL!

PS...my verification word is amaca - sounds like something that should be in your garden! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails